Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pasqua!




Hooray! He is Risen and Lent is over!

We have been enjoying meat and wine every day of the octave this year and I feel like my head is swimming. I am working my way thru a cookbook based on one of my old fave's, Hildegard of Bingen. She is a big fan of spelt and fennel both of which I am experimenting with. I am convinced that everything she says about cooking and the four humors is true.

Ben and the older girls attended the vigil this year and after the two little girls were in bed I stayed up and cleaned the house from top to bottom. After the floors were scrubbed I brought in fresh lilacs and wildflowers and put out a fresh tablecloth and laid out our blessed Easter bread which we had brought to the church earlier that day. I lit candles and when they returned home close to midnight it was all transformed. I took the two little girls in the morning to the much speedier Easter morning mass but I was so glad the older ones got to experience the Vigil.

We drove into D.C: to visit Ronia's godmother Maggie and had a lovely dinner of pork shoulder and lasagne. The light in Maggie's apartment is so beautiful at dusk. I wish I had brought my camera.

No comments: