Saturday, July 12, 2008

july update




Between a very busy summer, lot of time outside, and Ben needing the majority of our limited internet for work purposes I am not sure how frequent the posts will be but keep checking!

We have had a great month, punctuated by a visit from Gwen Adams who has brought us music, laughter, and lots of great stories. Also Ben's friends from the studio came up for the weekend and Angelica had her first modeling job sitting on the bench out in the courtyard. Julia is now crawling and learning that Gravagna is a very stony and rocky place for a small baby. Her favorite thing to do is sit at our little kitchen step and pull herself up to a standing and watch the wind blow the bead curtains that we have to keep the flies out. We were getting wonderful raw milk from a lady in the village but the cow just got pregnant and dried up so we are back on the regular stuff again. The raspberries have been really plentiful this year and the girls and I raided a couple abandoned bushes and they were so great.

Ben discovered another swimming hole even deeper than the waterfall down by the abandoned mill and we took the girls there today. Afterwards we explored down the creek and of all things found a wonderful deposit of clay. The girls had fun smearing it all over each other and i put some on my face and afterwards it made our skin so smooth! I brought back a bag to use at night after I wash my face. What a find!

Wowl I am feeling wonderfully mellow after five hours out in the sun and water.

Oh and the man in the photo is our neighbor Giuseppe who hurt his wrist up in a tree (he's 81) and had us help him make his dinner the other day.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could widen my imagination towards the things that you are posting.

Annie Hatke Schap said...

Aah! Julia is already crawling AND pulling herself up?!?! Anja had better get a move on!!! She isn't even crawling yet!... although, she's trying really hard.

Anna May said...

I so enjoy your posts. Keep them coming. That is, when you have the time.

Kelly said...

Your little girls look like they grew up over night. I can't believe how mature Angelica looks in that first pic!

Ok, ummm, I have another cloth diaper question for you ;) I found some 100% wool suiting fabric and picked it up at the thrift store for a steal. Do you think this would work if I made them into diapper covers - so long as it is lanolized??? Or does it have to be a knitted fabric to prevent wicking?

You, and apparently Ben, are my favorite cloth diaper gurus.

Anonymous said...

I am dying of cuteness! Angelica and Julia! Awww! They are so cute.... I am one proud Auntie

M.E.S. said...

Anna, it's always a pleasure reading your blog! We miss you guys! So you're a cloth diaper guru? I'll have to pick your brain on that sometime. We really want to go that route next time around.

Ben Hatke said...

kelly, I think as long as it is wool and lanolized you should be okay. I still have yet to make my own wool covers. I think that is about as cool as it can get. Oh maybe spinning the wool and raising the sheep too. It takes a village to diaper a baby.

Good luck. You are so good at craftiness, kelly! I am getting back on track and have only made myself a hat since Julia was born and am trying to make on for my friend, Beth's new one. But now that Julia is moblile my hands are more free so we'll see.

Oh and Sarah, the latest package in the world will be mailed soon to Bella and I'm throwing in extra stuff as she may have outgrown her gift. :(

Ben Hatke said...

sorry, that was anna not ben. woops

Sarah said...

Woo!! I love packages from Italy! I think I kind of like it that you are always out of the country when I have babies! Don't worry, she is a tiny thing, so I am sure it will still fit.

Anonymous said...

Anna, can you send me your traditional muesli recipe. i'm thinking of making some. This is Josepha in case you haven't noticed...lol

j'aime said...

miss you, and *still* have not called you! lamest friend ever. :(

Abigail said...

The photos of Italy have me totally convinced to renew a soon expiring passport. Beautiful children - they're so lucky to be traveling abroad!

La Bibliotecaria Laura said...

Hey, can you guys visit my blog and read about my crazy idea to end abortion in the US? It involves art. read it, think about it, contact me. grazie!

Margaret E. Perry said...

you really do live the perfect life! :) miss you +everyone!