Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I am glad it is rained so much today. I finally checked out the book Dian recommended to me from the library called "The Omnivore's Dilemna." It is a fascinating read though slightly depressing and scary as well. You can bet that meat in the grocery store doesn't look the same anymore. It is interesting though. The author explores three meals and the systems and ingredients behind all of them. The first meal, industrial, the second agrarian, the third hunter/gatherer. So first he eats McDonalds and then a chicken dinner supplied by local farmers, the last, a meal hunted and gathered by the sweat of his own brow. (I'm at the third meal now.)

As for me, food is theme of the day tomorrow as we prepare to gorge ousrselves again this Thanksgiving, I will be baking pies all morning while Ben does the turkey again this year. He is very good with roasting large animals, something I am not good at. Perhaps some day we will have a large open fire with a lamb turning over the spittle, like we saw in the little hostaria in Montagnola.--that was indeed the very best of my Tasis memories. . . . .

3 comments:

La Bibliotecaria Laura said...

I really like Pollan. His book about gardening _Second Nature_ is an excellent read, too. In fact, I like it better because OD made me depressed and a kind of reluctant vegan who will eat dairy and meat and eggs only if I can get them local/from a good source. Most of the food here is local--which is good... but it totally bums me out still that folks can make food so utterly disgusting.

I think it cemented our commitment to urban sustainable agriculture, too. A good read.

Margaret E. Perry said...

anna! yay! you're back! You guys have been in my thoughts and prayers. And especially on thanksgiving, as I always will remember our thanksgiving adventures together.

love and prayers!

Clare said...

I forget if I told you before, but Anastasia LOVES the red pepper soup. I made it again the other day and found I can hide other things like spinich and chicken in it. It is so awesome. Thanks again for the recipe. Hope you are all doing well... God Bless.